Follow by Email

Tuesday, December 02, 2014

I'm Sorry, Were You Saying Something?

--> Here is a question for you: How is your attention span? 
Pixels have shrunk my concentration to the size of a rude little pinhole. I have read enough (in my reading days, before I felt the need to force myself to shut down my smart phone) to understand the general brain mechanics of all this instant media gratification. 


But to understand it is not necessarily to grab hold of it. Sometimes, too often, I m rudely inattentive to the living beings around me because I cannot stop looking at my virtual world, waiting for the next thought to arrive over the transom, having been thunk by someone else. 

Purposeful slowing down helps.
Reading a books helps.
So does walking outside and leaving the phone inside.  It all takes me back to when I was kid, long before I ever thought to worry that one day something would come over me and try to hijack my brain.


 

1 comment:

LESLIE THOMPSON SCOTT said...

I read a blog today in which the blogger said that she prefers her watch because it allows her to stay on task, without being sidelined by opening her phone to read the time and then sliding into emails etc.
Having no watch band tan lines since I got an iPhone, I had to stop and think........
My Luddite brother calls my online interest- "my virtual friends."
I have been jumping through technological and beurocratic "fires" for several months. Every morning I wake up wondering what will demand to be at the top of my to do list today. If I update an operating system, I find it has changed so much in my technology that simple responses take hours.
I have a high school friend, a true stoner, who lives with none of this. No computers, smart phones, not even voice mail. Daily I ponder whether he suffers any of the stress I brace against.
Apple! Stop improving things! I am at a breaking point.!
Of course, a simple watch would not have allowed me to vent to my virtual friends.