Follow by Email

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

What I Did on My Vortex Vacation (Day)


Last night I was looking at a new sketching book that my friend Sarah ordered for me at the bookstore. There were all kinds of great drawings in the book -- steam punk vehicles, orcs, beautiful women, leprachauns, fantasy animals -- and before I closed my eyes to sleep I felt a burning desire to draw a musk ox. Which meant that when it was time to rise this morning, I was feeling cheerful: "Today I get to draw a musk ox, so life is good," I thought.

Why a musk ox? I'm not sure. Maybe because a musk ox is not Roscoe. But maybe because I wanted to experiment with line.

When I started the musk ox drawing (having pulled a number of photo references, of course), I realized that the ox needed to be A.'s pet.

Why? I'm not sure. To connect it to the project, perhaps.

I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Oh, and by the way, I must add that the first time I'd ever heard of a musk ox was when I was reading this wonderful book to my young daughters. That's perhaps when I fell the tiniest bit in love with musk oxen.



2 comments:

Pj Bennett said...

This is wonderful…. I love your musk ox! I am curious as the title of the book that your friend Sarah gave you.

Karen Sandstrom said...

Hi Pj - thanks for your kind note.

Here's the book Sarah found for me -- "Sketching from the Imagination," edited by 3D Total:

http://www.amazon.com/Sketching-Imagination-Insight-Creative-Drawing/dp/1909414026/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391045615&sr=1-1&keywords=sketching+imagination