Follow by Email

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Squonk


YOU KNOW THIS BY NOW, BUT YOU CAN CLICK ON THIS PIC TO READ IT BETTER.

Friday night, I was feeling sorry for myself. I leaned into it and drew the Squonk.

Despite his sad-sack nature, I think the Squonk is a wonderful character. I like that we don't know a whole lot about his looks, so I can kind of make it up. (Though he always looks pretty much the same way in my head.)
Anyway, I've drawn him before, which you can see here.

And he figures into my book project, which you cannot see here.

But the point is, the Squonk not only lives a desperate, hunted existence, but -- well, he's a little self-pitying. I mean, he DISSOLVES INTO TEARS. Sometimes we feel we will dissolve into tears, but only the Squonk is sufficiently self-sad.

That leads me to wonder: Do all emotions have usefulness -- even the unattractive ones?? Does self-pity have some kind of unsung utility?

I have no answer. But I have a Squonk. And so do you.


4 comments:

honey said...

thanks for the squonk. glad he's my friend too.

pengo said...

More squonk drawings, please.

Susan said...

Yes...I love squonk

Erin O'Brien said...

I have ecountered a Squonk before. As you can see, he was part of a flying roadshow. Methinks your squonk might be related to him--perhaps even twins that were separated at birth. The two of them balance a seesaw, no?

Very happy to hear you are working on a book!