Follow by Email

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Master Class

Just a quick note about what I do at 6 in the morning these days.

I study and draw.

I stacked up a keenly selected pile from my vast array of children's books and am studying the illustrations more closely than ever. Then I'm copying them or copying selected techniques. The page above was inspired by Don Daily's version of "Brer Rabbit." Daily has some really great visual language going on.

In the evening, I'm working on my own book.

The challenge of being out of school is that we must volunteer to do ourselves what our teachers used to do for us. Focus. study. Impart discipline.

Oy.

1 comment:

Valorie Grace Hallinan said...

That's terrific. I like doing lexicon work - learning new words - and practice sessions imitating writing styles of famous authors.