Follow by Email

Sunday, October 07, 2012

Very, very short story contest, anyone?

It started with an idea of drawing a certain kind of oldish guy. Then suddenly the vixen appeared. And the rest is some sort of weird Freudian history.

This is one of those sketches that make me want to invoke The Dream Clause ("Don't blame me for casting you as a ________ elft who _________ in the shower in my dream. It was my subconscious! I'm not responsible!")

Though that only goes so far when the weirdness is committed during waking hours while you have a pen in your hand.

Anyway, let's make something of this, shall we? A caption contest. Or, if you're so moved, a very short story. I will award a prize to anyone whose entry, here or on FB, tickles my fancy.

Here's a link to the first such contest I did on this site. Winsome, creative writing from all my talented friends.

By the way, you should ignore the sentence of text on the left side. It's just my note to myself, since this was drawn in my sketchbook.

So write your own notes instead. What's the woman doing there? Why is the old guy so wary of her? What's up with the bartender? Who designed the woman's dress? Is there someone influencing any of this off-camera? Who might be telling the story? Ready, set, GO!

3 comments:

David McCann said...

"Oh, hello dear... six years since I last saw you. Put on a little weigth have we?"

And the 60ish man, remembering the last good fortune he had with a woman, warily eyed her.

Lingering in the background was the bartender, praying, above all else, the man minded his manners this go round. As he was there six years earlier. And wow what a scene - the then 50ish year old man making a play her this beauty.

And the lines! Oh he was good with the lines.

But now?

Mary H said...

"Damn spunk!" he thought.

She loses the beret, slips into something that laughs in the face of the Minneapolis October night, and all of a sudden, Lou wanted to put something other than the lead story to bed.

buffalo said...

"Miss Peppermint Patty," he said. "If I was only 30 years younger, and 30 pounds lighter, I'd ask you to cha-cha." Closing time always brought out the best in Hank.