Follow by Email

Friday, April 13, 2012

In Mere Weeks ...


In mere weeks I will, like Albert Brooks, be defending my life. Or at least my art-school thesis project. You've seen pieces of it here and can see them again if you follow tags for Thick Through the Middle.

My thesis consists of three chapters of what will be about a 10-chapter illustrated memoir. Those three are done now -- well, all but the tweaking, which I seem unable to stop doing -- and I'll present that as an appetizer in book form during the Cleveland Institute of Art's BFA party and exhibition. I think I'm excited, but actually my head is spinning with end-of-year punch list stuff.

On the punch list was a plan to make up some bookmarks at the show. Bookmarks like the ones above, and like these.


What's with the hand-written text, you might wonder? Do those art-school people not teach you how to use the font button on your computer, Karen?

Well, they do, but the book itself is virtually all hand-written. It's "part of the aesthetic" as we visualistas like to say.

More to come ...

3 comments:

Clare said...

These are going to be great. I can't wait to see them in print.

Nin Andrews said...

Yes, can't wait!

Don West said...

Amen on the hand written. Much more interesting and it seems more real and "worked on". Kudos! Keep working and finish the book! Make it a kindle book too! And an iBook!