Follow by Email

Monday, July 25, 2011

Drawing in Ann Arbor without Drawing Ann Arbor



Wouldn't it be fun to draw Ann Arbor, Michigan, when I visit my brother?
It would. But I never do, because our trips are often just a day and a half, and the purpose is to spend time with family I don't see often enough.
However, I always draw a little when I'm there, usually in the morning over coffee and in the evening before sleep.

As you can see, I did little bits of things on the page throughout the day. On this spread, the shell came first, since Mark has a collection gathered through his years of sea-loving travels. The wing chair took another 20 minutes a bit later, and I did the ducks swimming into the chair seat later yet. Planning and layout, with this kind of approach, happens on the fly -- but that can work out well, especially the more you do it.

Oh, and I was listening to Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" on my iPod during a lot of it.

1 comment:

honey said...

planning and layout, on the fly, but that can work out well the more you do it...

a great approach to photography too...and life. :-)