Follow by Email

Saturday, May 07, 2011

Stoli and Strathmore



There at the Literary Cafe in Tremont on Friday nights, artist Tim Herron organizes a group for drinkin' and drawin'. I'd heard tell of this, but never participated till last night, when my friend Joan agreed to be the model for a three-hour festival of of alcohol and Conte crayons and such.

It might be important to note that Joan was not wearing a Mardi Gras wig. After getting a pleasing likeness of her profile at the Literary, I came home and attacked the piece with color. Sometimes I cannot help myself, and I have a tendency (as you'll see here) of going kinda nuts when I break out the acrylic medium and mix it with watercolor. This technique allows one to lay down transparent layers of color, sealing in each and therefore protecting it during the re-wetting process. My application of it with Joan is certainly ham-handed, and made me glad I held back from such nonsense where her face was concerned.

The point, though, is that it was all so much fun, and I will definitely return to the Friday night festivities, knowing that a little Stoli on the rocks does not harm the sketching process. Nope. Not at all.

1 comment:

Don West said...

Hehe...betcha she gets her hair colored like that now :-) Sounds like great fun!