Follow by Email

Friday, May 13, 2011

Geauga County



The call of the countryside probably wouldn't strike if I'd grown up in Manhattan or L.A. Geography shapes us. It made me -- alas? -- a suburbanite. But it put me close enough to horse barns and village squares to implant a yearning for them.

Yesterday I headed out in the car, thinking to draw and maybe find myself an old typewriter at an antiques store. I need one for a project. Didn't find it, but I found other things, including two early 20th century photographic portraits. I bought them for a dollar so I could daydream and draw about who these people were.

3 comments:

honey said...

i love sunrise farm! you surely made me want to jump in the car.

Don West said...

Being a Suburbanite is a tween kind of thing isn't it? I was one too. Now I'm not sure what I am lol! Countrurbanite I guess. Love the shadows behind these folk...and the way you handled the necklace. Great idea!

Karen Sandstrom said...

Don -- "countrurbanite" is a wonderful word. A lot of the folks who live out in what I call the country here are, sadly, countrubanites, too, since the family farm seems to be going the way of housing developments.