Follow by Email

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Locust With Attitude



Art school has built a bit of hesitation into me. I don't post as much in terms of projects-in-process because I know that we'll get to the critique day and I'll see everything I could've done differently (i.e., better), then wish I hadn't exposed the less-wonderful version here on PIH.

On the other hand, I've been a dull blogger lately, so what the heck.

This is part of a project in progress in which we show an insect with various expressions. This is the main illustration, but it'll also have some line drawings indicating the locust looking mean, happy, sad, etc. Notable about this image is that it was done entirely in Photoshop (not my usual way of working), but I think, as one of my teachers is wont to say, that "it doesn't suck!" (Pardon the crassness.)

4 comments:

honey said...

crassness is sometimes the perfect "ness" to explain a locust with attitude.

nice.

Don West said...

I'm certain I'd have never tolerated art school :-) God Bless you having such "encouraging" teachers :-)

Karen Sandstrom said...

Well, to be fair, Don, the critique involves the whole class, and it really is a friendly environment (largely). The point is to make one better, of course. It's just that it can be tough learning, along the way, how nonwonderful one is when one has wanted to believe in one's own wonderfulness. :D

suzanne cabrera said...

Wow Karen...what a switch from your quicker style. You are so versatile!!!!!