Follow by Email

Thursday, March 10, 2011

The geography of memory



Sometimes when we haven't been someplace for a long time, part of us can begin to believe the place doesn't really exist. For example, I grew up in Bay Village, which is a far west suburb of Cleveland. I lived there for many years, until after college. At that time I moved to points east of the Cuyahoga River, and almost never visited the old neighborhood. In the intervening time, Bay Village became for me a strange, dreamlike memory -- almost a mythological place -- bound up with all kinds of emotions.

It's good to take a drive every now and then, and bring the dream back into focus. Connect the "then" with the "now." Remind yourself that your past is, geographically speaking, linked to your present.

Is this making any sense? No, I didn't think so.

4 comments:

honey said...

should i worry that it made sense to me? i was born in akron and moved when i was 6. once a driver, i found my way without any logical reason back to the street i used to live on, and i like going back.

i find it keeps me full with the joys from the past and appreciative of the present. besides, i love huntington beach from your youth! does that make sense? doubt it.

Kay said...

I am from Akron too and yes your post made sense to me too!

Gayle Pritchard said...

This makes perfect sense, how the body memories are ingrained. I feel the same way going to my hometown in northwestern Ohio. Oh, and I live in BV, so my current memory and experience links to your emotional memory and experience. Does that make sense?

Trade Your Talent said...

pretty sketch!!