Follow by Email

Thursday, February 03, 2011

It Is True -- I Love Ralph



It is true that I was sort of dreading taking Color Theory this semester. It seemed dry. Essentially, anything with "theory" in the title bodes ill, right?

Well, the class has been strange for reasons I won't go into here. But one of the cool aspects of it has been that it really is firing my exploratory gene and making me think and notice different things. That might be one of the highest callings of art school.

Rather in that vein, I've been studying a book about five well-known illustrators of the 20th century -- the folks I think of as the Pen Guys. I have been especially smitten, for quite a while, with the work of gonzo illustrator Ralph Steadman. Perhaps you will see his influence in my crazed bird here.

Are you feeling like a crazed something-or-other after all thissss endlesssss snowwww?

1 comment:

honey said...

i am definitely a gonzo girl without snow! i love this latest from your pen and am off to meet ralph.

looks like a good day to walk the dog.