Follow by Email

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Try Something New



If my age were calculated like this --( Chrono Age - Time Spent Worrying And Being Afraid = New Current Age)-- I would be approximately 14 right now.

Now, when I say "worrying and being afraid," I'm calculating big, sort of rational concerns (like my daughter driving on an icy road at night), the tiny, dumb worries (like whether this necklace makes me look matronly) and everything in between.

Somewhere in the middle, you'll find yourself, I'm sure. You'll find me, too.

Take for instance my gouache hesitation.
For years, I've been comfortable with watercolor, but hesitated to try gouache -- which is, really, just a different kind of watercolor -- because I thought I might not like it. Then I'd have wasted money on a set of gouache paints that would just sit there.

A couple of weeks ago, I had the opportunity to get an up-close-and-personal look at an original gouache painting by Maira Kalman, one of my favorite illustrators, who uses gouache to great effect. I couldn't stand it anymore. I WANTED THOSE COLORS!

Ahem. Here, then, is my first time out on the playground with gouache. I can see that we're going to be good friends. Moreever, I can see that my hesitation to try gouache has been, like pretty much all my fears, unfounded.

3 comments:

Jesus Crisis said...

Fabulous!

Meagan said...

I'm the same way: total chicken about unfamiliar mediums (media?). I think I'm getting a bit better as I get older...

Erin O'Brien said...

It looks so rich and vibrant, more opaque than other watercolors (to my lay eye).

Lovely, though.